Topics

Moving from a file server to Office365

Jon Petraglia <jon@...>

Hey all,

We're hoping to move the majority of our on-prem file server into Office365. What I'm not sure of is what migrates where. Basically, OneDrive or SharePoint?

For some background, we have a file server with shares set up per department (e.g. "Human Resources"), but also a ginormous share that everyone can access, called "General".

There's a lot of ways I could see doing this, but the one that strikes me most is (a) shares are accessed by a few departments are synced in OneDrive, and (b) the gigantic "General" share is moved to SharePoint.

I guess I'm just still not getting what SharePoint exactly is. I know about sites and all that, but I guess I'm wondering......what is it trying to accomplish?

Richard Kenyon(h)

How's Life?

  Awesome question

  Which subscription version of Office365 is in place?

  Seems they have been configured such that onedrive for business is still currently personal files and sharepoint is all/group/shared files

  Tho mapping drives is supposed to go away, sharepoint and onedrive can still be mapped

  Interesting article:

SharePoint vs OneDrive: Which Is Better for Your Business?
https://www.sherweb.com/blog/o365-sharepoint-vs-onedrive/#https://www.sherweb.com/blog/o365-sharepoint-vs-onedrive/

  Of course the other option is having your own file server in the cloud (virtual via azure or aws) and just mapping the drives.  Can use VPN from client to server for access

  The big issue with cloud based storage is internet access, internet goes down and users can’t access anything

Have a great day!

Richard Kenyon

P616-805-9219

We're hoping to move the majority of our on-prem file server into Office365. What I'm not sure of is what migrates where. Basically, OneDrive or SharePoint?

For some background, we have a file server with shares set up per department (e.g. "Human Resources"), but also a ginormous share that everyone can access, called "General".

There's a lot of ways I could see doing this, but the one that strikes me most is (a) shares are accessed by a few departments are synced in OneDrive, and (b) the gigantic "General" share is moved to SharePoint.

I guess I'm just still not getting what SharePoint exactly is. I know about sites and all that, but I guess I'm wondering......what is it trying to accomplish?

Jon Petraglia <jon@...>

I believe we have Office 365 Enterprise E1.

That issue of internet access kinda goes away if you set up OneDrive for Business. It'll store a local copy on your machine.

From the limited work I've done, you can't map a SharePoint folder to a drive, but you can add it as a network location so it shows up on My Computer. (Note: I'm working on Win7 here)

I don't understand the "SharePoint vs OneDrive" concept because I thought that they were built to do different things. OneDrive is an online 'personal' My Documents. SharePoint is a ????????
And what's odd is that I've seen multiple people on Spiceworks and the like say not to use SharePoint like that. It's all very confusing.

Richard Kenyon(h)

How's Life?

Should I save my documents to OneDrive for Business or a team site?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/should-i-save-my-documents-to-onedrive-for-business-or-a-team-site-d18d21a0-1f9f-4f6c-ac45-d52afa0a4a2e

When to save documents to OneDrive for Business

-You don’t plan to share them.

-You plan to share files individually and with a limited scope or lifecycle.

-You can’t identify an existing team site where your document belongs, and you don’t think the purpose of the document warrants creating a new one.

When to save documents to a team site library

-You want team members to recognize the document as being relevant to an ongoing project.

-You want to spread ownership and permissions across a wider collection of people. If a document is important to the success of a project, it’s a good idea for there to be people other than yourself who can control what happens on the site.

-You want permissions to be granted on a site basis, instead of on individual documents. If people have access to the team site, then they have access to documents stored in the site.

-Other project-related documents are already saved to the team site library, and others expect to find it there.

-You want to create a check-in workflow that assigns the document to someone else.

Have a great day!

Richard Kenyon

P616-805-9219

I believe we have Office 365 Enterprise E1.

That issue of internet access kinda goes away if you set up OneDrive for Business. It'll store a local copy on your machine.

From the limited work I've done, you can't map a SharePoint folder to a drive, but you can add it as a network location so it shows up on My Computer. (Note: I'm working on Win7 here)

I don't understand the "SharePoint vs OneDrive" concept because I thought that they were built to do different things. OneDrive is an online 'personal' My Documents. SharePoint is a ????????
And what's odd is that I've seen multiple people on Spiceworks and the like say not to use SharePoint like that. It's all very confusing.

Richard Kenyon(h)

How's Life?

  I have mapped drives to my sharepoint folders

How to configure and to troubleshoot mapped network drives that connect to SharePoint Online sites in Office 365

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2616712/how-to-configure-and-to-troubleshoot-mapped-network-drives-that-connec

Have a great day!

Richard Kenyon

P616-805-9219

I believe we have Office 365 Enterprise E1.

That issue of internet access kinda goes away if you set up OneDrive for Business. It'll store a local copy on your machine.

From the limited work I've done, you can't map a SharePoint folder to a drive, but you can add it as a network location so it shows up on My Computer. (Note: I'm working on Win7 here)

I don't understand the "SharePoint vs OneDrive" concept because I thought that they were built to do different things. OneDrive is an online 'personal' My Documents. SharePoint is a ????????
And what's odd is that I've seen multiple people on Spiceworks and the like say not to use SharePoint like that. It's all very confusing.

Jon Petraglia <jon@...>

I've seen stuff like this a lot, but it really doesn't answer any questions IMO....

For example, another possible configuration would be to have a different Site for what used to be a shared folder.

Jon Petraglia <jon@...>

Good to know.

Richard Kenyon(h)

How's Life?

  I lean toward the thinking that onedrive is for ‘my’ files and sharepoint is for ‘our’ files

Have a great day!

Richard Kenyon

P616-805-9219

I believe we have Office 365 Enterprise E1.

That issue of internet access kinda goes away if you set up OneDrive for Business. It'll store a local copy on your machine.

From the limited work I've done, you can't map a SharePoint folder to a drive, but you can add it as a network location so it shows up on My Computer. (Note: I'm working on Win7 here)

I don't understand the "SharePoint vs OneDrive" concept because I thought that they were built to do different things. OneDrive is an online 'personal' My Documents. SharePoint is a ????????
And what's odd is that I've seen multiple people on Spiceworks and the like say not to use SharePoint like that. It's all very confusing.

Richard Kenyon(h)

How's Life?

  Has everyone seen this graphic?

The Periodic Table of Office 365